Monday, April 10, 2017

Be Still My Reading Heart

One could argue that Chicago Theater Works is my home away from home. They could argue that. They would be WRONG! My home away from home is the Logan Square branch of the Chicago Public Library!

This is where I go when I need something to do or a change of scenery. It's where I go when I want to get books! The one problem with this branch is that it doesn't have every single book I want! But, having a library card means that I can have any book at any library in CPL delivered to the Logan Square branch. This is obviously extremely useful! I put holds on books all. the. time. Like everyday! One of the best days of my life was when I discovered that CPL has an app that you can put on your phone and use to find books! One of the next best days of my life was the following day when the official CPL twitter retweeted my tweet about them having an app!

Photographic evidence

Both the CPL website and app have added a banner at the top of their pages (yes, I do sometimes still use the website) saying that website logins and holds will be unavailable from April 13-21 and that you will need to use your card at the library. This means stocking up! So I went to the library today to pick up a book on hold and grab another book that they did happen to have in stock.

Now, while I was checking out the book, I got news that would shatter my world! I thought that even though the website would be unavailable, any books that were in transit to the branch (I am currently waiting on two) would still be available for pick up when they arrived. WRONG! Nope, any books on hold that arrive at the branch will have to be stored until the system is back online! That means that if my two books (or even more since I always have several books on hold at one time) arrive after Wednesday, I won't be able to get them until the 22nd! This is awful! I currently have three and a half books checked out (I technically have four, but since I am halfway through one of them, it doesn't count) which will probably get me through the first two days of this insanity!

I'm working on a list based on my reading list of books that are, in fact, available at the Logan Square Library branch. I picked up one today obviously, but I'm going to have to go get more tomorrow, before it's too late!*

*I will be able to check out books after April 13, but I won't have any way of knowing that the books that are on my reading list/that I want to read are available at the Logan Square branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment