Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Night of the Venomous Lego Batman in La La Land

Well, not having my best friend here didn't stop me from having an eventful past few days.

Slayyy
I handled my disappointment like a champ on Thursday and went to Improvised Shakespeare (I even wore my epic Romeo and Juliet shirt). For those of you who don't know, Improvised Shakespeare is a group that improvises a show in the style of a Shakespearean play after getting a title suggestion from the audience. I went once in September, where I sat in the back and they could not hear my epic title suggestion (although the title they did pick -- The Coughing Lumberjack -- turned out to be pretty awesome). This time, however, I was in the front row and not only could they hear me, but they picked my suggestion! So Thursday was the one and only performance of The Night of the Venomous Squirrel. It ended up being a play about a boy named Squirrelio, a girl with a propeller hat and a Burn Book worthy of Mean Girls.

Friday was probably the most disappointing day with Ryan. We'd planned an epic Cupcake Crawl (the third sugary chapter in our quest for cupcake domination) but almost more importantly than that, we'd planned to go see The Lego Batman Movie together! We love Lego Batman. Ryan is 100% the Lego Robin to my Lego Batman (meaning he's the wide-eyed, glittery-cape wearing soprano optimist to my dark-and-brooding, sarcastic, feelings-phobic self). Ryan went and saw an early preview on Thursday night and encouraged me to go on Friday instead of wallowing in depression all day (but like, wallowing in depression is exactly what Batman would have done here...).

I love Lego Batman so much that I have a Lego Batman key chain! And if I couldn't bring my best friend to the movie with me, I was definitely bringing my best key chain.

I couldn't miss out on a cute photo op, and made sure that my key chain had the best seat in the house. I propped him up on my ginger ale and even made him hold the straw with his little claw hand! And that is where he watched the movie from, because I actually left him there until the movie was over. We both liked it a lot (he liked it a little more than I did -- I think the original Lego Movie is better overall, but Lego Batman gave me exactly what I was hoping to see).

Saturday was insanity. It was a two show day at Chicago Theater Works which are the days that most often threaten my sanity. Not only did we have two performances of Tony N Tina's but both of them were essentially sold out (185 people at both shows -- we can technically sell to 200, but I consider 185 sold out because after that, we need to start pulling out the extra tables). As I said, these days threaten my sanity no matter how many tickets we sell, but do you know what might actually push me over the edge? A broken oven... at a dinner theatre. Yes, our warming oven broke as we began the first show. This led to me running up and down the block to find somewhere that would let us use their oven and yes, I actually ran.

Now, normally, I can actually enjoy the second show -- even if there are 185 people there -- because I'm no longer worried about flipping the house but nope, I was on the run again because Tina sprained her ankle during the first show and someone needed to go get an ace bandage (I don't know why no one went to get one between shows but they didn't).

I basically slept away Sunday and then yesterday, I decided to treat myself to a trip to La La Land. I wasn't really interested in seeing La La Land (despite all of the award show buzz) but it was the only movie I was interested in seeing at the movie theatre that is walking distance from my apartment. That theatre, by the way, first opened in 1915 as a one screen theatre! Today is only has four screens but has definitely kept the charm (and the smaller screens). I liked it a lot and will definitely be back (especially because they do a lot of different late night specials that I think would be fun).

Today is a pretty light day. I have a little business meeting and that about sums it up. So, there you have it! Congratulations on reading my words. Peace out, friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment