Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Moving Day (#2)

Getting out of bed this morning was difficult... perhaps because my body knows that it is getting closer to being bed-less or perhaps because I really just didn't want to get up.

But, I did it. I had an interview this morning and simply recycled an outfit that I'd worn to an interview earlier in the week because all of my other clothes were in Logan Square (as if anyone besides me would know...). The interview was at a Capitol One Café. Did you know that those are a thing? Because they are. They're part bank, part café, as the name would suggest, and they have conference rooms that non-profits can rent for free. I was meeting with a non-profit, which is why we were meeting there. I was their first interview of the day and I arrived a few minutes early -- actually beating them there. I'm not sure if that makes me look good or bad to them, but it can't be helped now (Seriously though, they suggested you arrive early because they had paperwork to be filled out. This turned out to be a one page questionnaire that took approximately 57 seconds to complete, but I was just following the directions of their extremely detailed email).

After the interview, I was Logan Square bound. My backpack was filled with nothing but hangers. I kid you not. I bought hangers at Target yesterday and there wasn't much space in my bag for anything else. I followed my phone's directions and got on the train and then a few stops later, prepared to connect to a bus. My phone prepared me in a lot of ways, it did not, however, prepare me for how hungry I was going to be or the fact that when I ordered a breakfast sandwich without bacon from Dunkin Donuts that I would receive a breakfast sandwich that was literally filled with nothing except bacon. Ok, yeah, cuz that's what I wanted.

My phone also didn't tell me which direction I should get on the bus, so I rode it about 12 stops as it made an eastward loop before it returned to the train station and started its journey westward -- the way I needed to be going.

Ok, it probably did tell me that, but I didn't know I needed to look for it. Another rookie mistake. But now I know where I'm going for next time, because the bus literally drops me off directly across the street from my apartment.

My timing was perfect for meeting Janell, except that as I stepped off the bus, I got a text from Janell saying that she was running late. We're still waiting to sign the lease and for our own keys -- we currently have one set between the two of us and that set has been residing with Janell -- so I had to find a way to entertain myself. I went exploring, obviously. My neighborhood is easily described as half hipster/half Hispanic and I quickly realized that I'm living on the Hispanic side, not so much the hipster side. As I walked down the street, I started seeing a lot more Spanish than English. It was like being back in Central America, except that I could send text messages. I found a bakery that is going to be dangerous for my health... everything in there is in Spanish, large and cheap. I skipped on getting myself  a treat today (like a giant slice of cake for $1.99) because I didn't want to carry anything, but this place is within walking distance of my new apartment! Danger, danger, Will Robinson. There are also a few ice cream places which are also in Spanish, but looked delicious.

Even though I'd gotten my "breakfast sandwich", I was still hungry so I found Raymond's, which is a taco place, but I got a fish sandwich. The whole thing was surprisingly cheap. If food is going to continue to be inexpensive in my neighborhood, then I am going to continue eating it and we might end up having a problem.

I only waited for Janell for like an hour. The lease is *hopefully* going to be signed tomorrow and we'll have our own keys and be able to come and go as we please, but not yet. I did what unpacking I could and realized that I needed to print some things for work, so I ended up walking to the library when I was done. I'm really getting to know the neighborhood, because I was able to get there without my phone! I found out how to get a library card (I still can't get one because I'm waiting for a piece of mail) but even without a library card, I was able to get a pass and print out my stuff.

After that, I continued to prove my neighborhood-knowing prowess by getting to the nearest train station and getting my temporary home (with a pit stop at Target no less) without using my phone at all.

The rest of the afternoon/evening has been spent preparing for more moving. Hopefully the lease will be complete tomorrow and I will be able to come and go as I please. Fingers crossed that Moving Day #3 is the final moving day!

No comments:

Post a Comment