Monday, August 22, 2016

Glad You Got the Yolk

MCT plays are filled with puns. Aladdin has one about Stonehenge. There is a character called "Stone Hens" and the script goes as follows:

Aladdin: That's foul, as in chicken, get it?
Stone Hens: Glad you got the yolk!

When an eight year old says it, your heart melts -- here, not so much, but today, I went to Yolk.

I saw Yolk when I was in Chicago in February (touring Aladdin, no less). I thought it would be fun. I want to try some of the restaurants downtown while they're in walking distance because when I move, I know that it won't make sense for me to come all the way here just for a casual breakfast, so this is why I went out for brunch today.

I figured that I needed to get eggs there. I literally needed to get the yolk. They had a lot of good looking things, but like I said, I was there for eggs (and yolks, they had a few egg white omelets but what's the point of that?). Now, their omelets are FIVE EGGS. I don't really know who needs a five egg omelet, but that is what I ordered. Specifically, I ordered their California Omelet. It was vegetarian and according to them, a staff favorite. It had smashed avocado, sauteed mushroom, green onion, tomato, jack, swiss, cheddar cheeses, garlic and sour cream. It also came with an option of potatoes or fruit (I picked fruit) and toast, pancakes or an English muffin (I went with pancakes. If pancakes are your side dish, you're doing something right). I was sitting at the counter, so if the menu alone hadn't convinced me that their portions were crazy, I was seeing it with my own eyes. I knew it was too much food for me before it had even showed up.

I ate, maybe, a third of it. Despite the sheer impressiveness of it, it actually wasn't my favorite. If I went back, I would order something else. The "smashed" avocado (why can't we just say mashed? It seems pretentious to me...) turned the whole thing green and sort of mushy. Central America might have turned me onto avocado, but not like this. I didn't like the sour cream on top, but the blend of cheeses was great. I think I'd like to go back and try something else, but I don't know what that something would be.

An item on the Passport was to find a breakfast place that wasn't Dunkin, so while I technically went here for brunch, I have done that. BUT, my new goal will to be to find a breakfast place closer to my new home -- a place within walking distance of my apartment.

Speaking of walking, I had a lot of calories to burn and a full belly to walk off, so I went exploring. While I was exploring, I passed a souvenir shop and got an idea. I've been thinking about sending cards to announce my move. It seems old fashioned since I've already updated my location on all social media platforms, but it also seems like fun. (And I'm not going to put my address on Instagram). Another task on the Passport was to buy a ridiculous souvenir, so I went to find one. My thought had been to buy an ugly magnet but I came up with a better idea: I would find a shirt that I could wear that shows off my new town pride and put a picture of me wearing said shirt on my moving announcement!

I found a good one. It's subtle Chicago pride, although the shirt isn't subtle. It is neon orange and simply says "Da Bears." The only reason I knew about the Super Fans was because I was a dialect coach for my college's production of Chicago (long story... I didn't know how to do a Chicago accent but I was the assistant director and the director wanted the whole cast to have them. He announced this to everyone's -- including my -- surprise. *enter panic mode*). It seemed like the perfect nod to my past present and future, so I bought the shirt and was on my way.

I returned to the apartment for a bit and my respite included buying a mattress/bed from IKEA. Unfortunately for me, it won't be delivered until September 10th, a whole 10 days after I will be moving into my new apartment, but at least it is on its way. (I also set up to have the gas company come to the apartment so that we could have gas! Very adult of me).

So. Orange.
Having cooled off, I pulled on my very noticeable shirt and went back outside. I decided that it wasn't enough for me to just wear the shirt, I needed to stand in front of a Chicago landmark, so I walked to the Bean. I walked quickly because this shirt is kind of embarrassing. It's so ridiculous that a stranger asked to take a picture of it! I also don't want to look like a tourist because I'm not one. I'm sure I'll continue to play tourist-for-a-day for many days to come, but I usually dress better. I got my pic and basically sprinted back to the apartment so I could change.

Ok, I didn't sprint because I don't really run. This is an important distinction because tonight, I signed up for the Mermaid 5K on October 1st. Tour partner #1, Mandy Belscamper (who goes by Amanda now, but says I can still call her Mandy) sent me a link and said "we're doing this." I told her I was down as long as she was alright with me needing to walk chunks of the race. I am officially in training, people! (And by people, I mean Whitney, who doesn't read this blog but is supposed to be making me a fitness plan!).

No comments:

Post a Comment