Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Moving Day (#1)

Well, I have officially started trekking my stuff across the city to my new apartment!

This morning, I piled 98% of what I'd brought to Chicago back into my suitcases. I'm staying at the apartment downtown for a few more nights because a) I don't have a bed at my new place yet, b) they're still working on my new pace and c) did I mention the bed thing yet? I'm not giving up a king sized bed for an air mattress until I absolutely have to. I also want to make sure that I leave Janet's apartment in absolutely spotless shape and that required moving some of my things out first to help literally clear the way.

I took an Uber because I didn't feel like maneuvering my two monstrous, bubblegum pink suitcases through Chicago. I was also carrying a pillow and it was seriously messing with my balance, so just getting the bags to the car was a struggle. Somewhere between the Uber and the front door of my new apartment, one of the legs of my older suitcases broke off, so now it doesn't stand up but I guess that isn't really an issue, since I was home and wouldn't need to be using it any time soon.

I built that.
Also, thank you MCT suitcase carrying muscles because I was able to carry my suitcase up three flights of stairs as if it were nothing. Janell and my landlord, Marge, needed to double team the lighter of the two and still struggled with it. Janell has already moved in quite a lot of stuff, so they both sort of marveled that my whole life was in two suitcases (with a stray pillow hanging out). Like Janell actually has stuff. I don't have anything, EXCEPT, that the stand-alone closet I'd ordered from Target arrived before I did, so I was able to set it up. I did it all by myself. I mean, I did it by myself using the directions, but the directions weren't even words, just pictures, so I basically did it myself. Also, it was super hot and I was super sweaty.

My room is legitimately too small to take a real picture of it, but I did take lots of pictures of the rest of the house to share with you.
Kitchen

Living Room

Bathroom

Dining Room
Add me on insta: thomson.was.here
I stayed at the apartment for a few hours, but considering I didn't have any hangers, I couldn't unpack much into my closet, so I said goodbye to Marge and Janell. (I did spend some time measuring out exactly how my bed could fit in the room when it does arrive and sent out a killer, inspirational instagram post).

On my way out, I discovered that my name is already on the mailbox! This was pretty exciting! Send me mail! I love mail and now I have a mailbox, so use it for something that aren't bills, please. I walked through my new neighborhood to the subway station, checking out the sights and sounds (there were lots of both).

I took the subway directly to Target. I'm not even joking. I needed clothing hangers to really get to the next step of moving in! I also needed to scout out things like a bedside table that I might like. My room only has one outlet, so bedside tablet placement is going to be important.

I trudged back to the downtown apartment with a monstrous bag filled with nothing but clothing hangers and basically collapsed on the bed (see how important having a bed is?). I was swamped and I'm not even done moving in yet. Tomorrow, will be day two of moving in, when I put my clothing hangers to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment