Friday, January 20, 2017

Men On Boats; Girls In Box Offices

It hasn't been a particularly busy week but I haven't been in a particularly blog-y mood, so here are the updates from yours truly.

Monday: I worked at ASC. Nothing crazy.

Insane, right?
Tuesday: I worked at Poetry Pals. Well, technically, Poetry Pals worked at Queen of All Saints School, which is a Catholic school in an upper-class neighborhood that is so far to the edge of the city that it's basically the suburbs. Now, every one of the schools that Poetry Pals visits has some place of worship affiliated with it, but the church at QAS was a bit different... because it was a basilica. Now, I thought that basilica just meant fancy church but it actually means that it is a Catholic church that the Pope can visit. This place was insanely large and it was attached to a freaking school! Mind blown.

After that, I had a doctor's appointment but didn't have enough time to trek back to my apartment in between so I ended up at Burrito House. The name was definitely promising and the portion sizes were insane. I got their junior burrito for less that $4 and it was more than enough for me. I added on a soda and the whole meal cost $5 plus tax!

After that, I still had time to kill before my appointment and realized that I was walking distance from Smallcakes (where the cupcakes are never small) so I made my way there, only to discover that it was closed! Rude! But do not fear, because on my walk back, I passed Dinkel's and they had cupcakes. They tried to catch me in a Buy two-get two free deal but that would have been insanity. It was a good cupcake. Not as unique as what I've had at Smallcakes -- just your standard red velvet -- but a solid option for a good price.

Wednesday: Tony N Tina's matinee! The cast was actually featured on the local news and had to be at the theatre at 6:15am. For once, it pays to not be the talent because I didn't have to come in until my usual 9am call time! I also got another post-hot cocoa crawl hot chocolate from 7-11 and let me tell you that whatever that toxic sludge that comes out of those automated machines is was wayyy better than the garbage I got at Lovely last week. It was also free because yours truly has the 7-11 app and they had a free drinks on Wednesday deal (upgrade that small to a medium, please!).

So happy to be awake
Thursday: I spent most of the day at ASC, putting up a bulletin board for PuppetFest this weekend. Honestly, I have spent too much time with puppets at this internship, but I'm going to miss it when it's all over soon. After I was done there, I went back to my apartment for a few hours, where I made some lemon-raspberry protein muffins and ate leftovers for dinner.

Post-dinner, I braved the rain to go see Men On Boats at American Theater Company. I just got a job as a teaching artist assistant with them and so they offered me a free ticket to the show. I love free stuff so I happily accepted. The show was cool, it was about the Powell Geographic Exposition of 1869 and all of the men were played by women. ATC's big thing is examining "what it means to be an American" and this did just that. The lighting on this show was incredible -- absolutely stunning (literally at one point, they just shined a really big light straight at the audience).

The craziest thing here is that the day I got hired by ATC, my friend Claire told me that she was their new box office associate, so I got to see her when I went to the show. Back at DeSales, a very popular thing for students to do would be to hang out with their friends who were working at the box office -- usually standing in the way of any patrons who happened to be looking for tickets and we reenacted that as adults at a professional theatre last night! You can take the girls out of Labuda, but you can't take the Labuda out of the girls!

Today, I am attempting to avoid social media and hysterical crying (and also going over to Claire and Parker's for lunch) and tomorrow, I am going to the Women's March on Chicago! Peace and love. Stay safe, marchers. Girl power! People power!

No comments:

Post a Comment